City of Rocks is a National Reserve and home to the oldest rocks in North America. Some being 2.5 billion years old. The ancient-ness of the area is very apparent the moment you drive into the "city" The time warp is further intensified by the long drive in.
After leaving the main highway(I15) you drive along a secondary highway for a bit, and then hit what I would describe as country roads. Idaho is a farming state (from what my experience has been anyway.) We saw a lot of farms; it is a bit monotonous, but entertaining at the same time. This said entertainment is mainly due to the kids in the back seat, claiming that zombies must live in the ramshackle houses attached to these farms.( I am very glad Stella-Moon had no bad dreams resulting in this morbid conversation.) Needless to say, we live in a very beautiful and civilized part of the world. The end of the drive in is on graded/dirt roads and it is not until you enter the park that you realize the breathtaking beauty.
I don't think you have to love rock climbing to appreciate this place, but it does help. I can't wait to go back again.





No comments:
Post a Comment